Top500 Awards Countdown 2018
ABOUT THE TOP500 AWARDS
After eight years of showcasing SA’s titans of industry in prestige-format print, it was decided to start taking the very best of them from the page to the stage. The first annual Top 500 Awards took place on 8 March 2017. Winners included Mercedes-Benz, Discovery, Woolworths and Anglo American.
To identify finalists for these awards, Topco Media’s Research Unit divides the publication’s 100 sectors
into groups of related sectors, then compares the sector leaders within each group against each other, using 72 points of data weighing heavily towards growth and turnover.
AWARDS SELECTION PROCESS
Companies do not enter the Top 500 Awards – they qualify.
- As with the publication they are borne out of, The Top 500 Awards designates qualifiers through a process of research and accreditation.
- Every year, our full-time team of researchers measures around 10 000 companies against strict performance criteria, drawn up in conjunction with the Development Policy Research Unit at the University of Cape Town.
- The results lead to Top 500 – South Africa’s Best Managed Companies; our respected annual publication showcasing SA’s top five companies across 100 sectors.
- These 500 companies don’t have to do anything to qualify, except exhibit integrated performance notable enough to satisfy our research criteria.
So where do the Awards come in?
To take the best of the publication’s companies from the page to the stage, our research team takes the number one companies in each of the publication’s 100 sectors, measures them against a second round of even tougher points-based criteria, and settles on 60+ Finalists – who are then personally contacted, congratulated and invited to contest the awards at the annual Top 500 Awards ceremony.
Any South African company has a chance of going from being one of 10 000 companies researched for the publication, to becoming one of our esteemed Awards Finalists – if you’re a champion in your sector.
Watch your mailbox. Watch your phone. We will be in touch if you are a Top 500 Finalist!
2018 Top500 Sponsors
2018 Award Category Sponsor
2018 Awards Categories
Top 500 Best Managed Company in Resources
Coal, gold, platinum, metals & minerals, diamond mining, diversified mining and gas
Top 500 Best Managed Company in Basic Industries
Specialty chemicals, paint manufacturers, builders merchants, building & construction materials, construction groups, cement, forestry, steel and retail & commercial fuels
Top 500 Best Managed Company in General Industries
Aerospace & defence, diversified industrials, electrical equipment, electronic products, industrial products & equipment, heavy machinery, engineering groups, mining services, consulting engineers – mining & infrastructure
Top 500 Best Managed Company in Consumer Goods
Automobiles, automotive components, commercial vehicles, household appliances, beverages – breweries and soft drinks, distillers and vintners, agriculture, fishing, dairy, food processing, packaging, consumer electronics, personal products, beauty products
Top 500 Best Managed Company in Health
Pharmaceuticals, medical aid administrators, medical aid schemes, hospital management, long-term care
Top 500 Best Managed Company in Retail
Food retailers, sport apparel and goods, soft goods, furniture retailers, diversified retailers, direct response marketing, shopping malls
Top 500 Best Managed Company in Hospitality
Hotels & hotel chains, gaming & leisure resorts, exhibition & conference facilities, travel & tourism, restaurants & pubs holding companies
Top 500 Best Managed Company in Media
Media groups, Digital media and marketing houses, broadcasting contractors, advertising agencies, outdoor advertising, branding & design
Top 500 Best Managed Company in Business Support Services
Legal services, auction houses, recruitment groups, food services, facilities management, fleet management & vehicle tracking, business process outsourcing, BEE accreditation agencies, corporate security, private security, research companies, waste management, service delivery (SOC), hygiene services
Top 500 Best Managed Company in Financials
Banks, short-term insurance, specialised finance, life insurance, real estate holdings & development, investment holdings companies, asset management, investment services, accounting & consulting
Top 500 Best Managed Company in Transport
Airlines, car hire, freight forwarding, courier services, road freight, shipping
Top 500 Best Managed Company in I.T.
Computer hardware, telecommunications solutions & equipment, office automation, I.T. component distributors, I.T. groups, internet service providers, wireless or fixed telecoms, business software solutions, business cloud solutions, artificial intelligence, fibre networks, fibre (ISP)
Top 500 Best Managed Company in South Africa
Bestowed upon one organisation from any of the above sectors, following a journey of research that drills down through 10 000 companies; then (The Top) 500, then 60-70 awards finalists. The ultimate accolade in South African business.
The Top 500 honours South Africa’s business elite
Why align your brand with the Top 500?
- The Awards will bring together hundreds of blue-chip company CEOs, government officials, academic thought leaders and foreign investors under one roof, providing an unparalleled networking opportunity.
- Top 500 is entrenched in the media landscape, meaning extensive brand exposure for your company, via both internal and external channels; before, during and after the Awards ceremony.
- Multiple B2B touchpoints include a high engagement website that recorded nearly 400 000 pageviews from January to October 2016 and almost 25% return visitors (Google Analytics).
- Strategically timed just into the new financial year, the Top 500 Awards will ensure your company top-of-mind awareness amongst other key decision makers driving South Africa’s economy.
What are the sponsorship opportunites?
- Become the event’s sole Platinum Sponsor, securing co-ownership of the Awards, access to the full delegates database, a headline speaking slot, significant influence in the Awards’ planning, extensive brand exposure and a host of VIP advantages.
- Become the event’s sole Gold Sponsor, securing a high-profile speaking slot, extensive brand exposure and a host of VIP advantages.
- Position your company as a thought leader by become an Award Category Sponsor, sharing the stage with the winner of your sponsored Award;
- Sponsor a branded VIP table upfront – or select a standard table for the Awards.
WANT US TO CALL YOU ABOUT SPONSORING AN AWARD OR BOOKING A TABLE?
2017 Awards Event Timeline
Minister of Home AffairsMr. Gigaba is the current Minister of Home Affairs in the Republic of South Africa; appointed in May 2014. He is a member of the African National Congress (ANC) and serves on its National Executive Committee (NEC) and National Working Committee (NWC), and is the organisation’s National Elections Co-ordinator. He is a teacher by profession and an academic, whose commitment to using education as tool for social upliftment finds its expression in his work as the Patron of the Nompumelelo Institute for Leadership; aimed at recognizing, encouraging academic excellence and leadership amongst the youth by empowering them with leadership and life skills.
CEO of EOH Holdings
Mr. Bohbot serves as the Group Chief Executive Officer of EOH Holdings Limited. Mr. Bohbot joined Laminate Industries (later to be part of the PG Group) as an industrial engineering manager in 1981. He served as Logistics Director of Laminate Industries from 1990. He was subsequently promoted to the position of General Manager of Laminate Industries. He was the Executive Director of Distribution on the main board of PG Bison. He took responsibility for Logistics and IT at the company in 1995.
Throughout his career, he was exposed to general business leadership, business systems and supply chain logistics, leading four major system implementations. He moved to South Africa in 1980 where he joined AECI as a senior engineer. Mr. Bohbot has been an Executive Director of EOH Holdings since August 6, 1998.
MASTER OF CEREMONIES
Radio & TV PersonalityWith his distinctive bald head, warm personality and easy going demeanor, radio and TV personality Mark Pilgrim is a household name in South Africa. This multi-award winning presenter has spent over 20 years entertaining millions of listeners and viewers. Mark is also one of South Africa’s most experienced Master of Ceremonies and has hosted hundreds of corporate events over the past two decades. He is also a well-known motivational speaker as well as an ambassador for CANSA and the Heart and Stroke Foundation of SA.
2017 Top500 Sponsors
Main Table Sponsor
2017 Award Category Sponsor
VIP Table Sponsor
What are the Top 500 Awards?
Who will be crowned South Africa’s Best Managed Company?